A report was presented to Council at the 19 July Council Meeting. Councillors agreed to proceed with construction of the proposed design for a new quarter basketball court located in the middle of the J Talbot Reserve.
About the Project
The existing basketball hoop and gravel area at J Talbot Reserve was installed around 15 years ago and it has reached the end of its functional life. The proposed project would relocate the basketball hoop to improve the usability and avoid conflict with both playground users and people entering the ballet school.
The proposed project would relocate the basketball hoop and create a formal three-point court, improving usability and avoiding conflict with both playground users and people entering the theatre school. The new basketball three-point court would be built of noise-minimising materials, including noise-reduction backboards and a low-noise surface. The surrounding vegetation and screening would be designed to minimise the visual appearance and avoid balls bouncing onto Barkly Street.
What we heard from our community
Thank you to those that provided feedback on the proposed changes to the basketball facilities.
Who we heard from
- Number: Approximately 111 participants across all of the activities (2 x pop-ups conversations and 2 x surveys)
- Suburb of residence: 72% of respondents live in St Kilda, Elwood or St Kilda West.
- Gender identity: 48% male, 46% female, 5% prefer not to say, 1% use a different term
What we heard
- 61% of participants support the proposal
- 34% of participants don't support the proposal
- 5% of participants were unsure