Thank you for your interest in this project. Keep reading for more information.
The Youth Places Feasibility Study is exploring the establishment of a dedicated youth centre for our City.
What has happened?
Consultation and further research has been conducted across two phases since early 2018.
The first phase of research took place over 18 weeks in the first half of 2018, involving:
- face-to-face stakeholder consultations, including forums, pop-ups and discussion groups
- online survey via Have Your Say and on iPads with young people around our City
- benchmarking of other local government area youth facilities in metropolitan Melbourne
- analysis and geographical mapping of key demographic data
- service mapping of local youth services and programs.
The second phase of research included a range of consultations, carried out over September and November 2018. This phase of consultation involved:
- a youth forum: working with young people to identify key design aspects necessary for our future youth centre and ideas for service model
- a service providers’ workshop: identifying ideal service and governance models
- an “experts’” workshop with representatives of other councils experienced in developing and running dedicated youth facilities: seeking advice on design, and service and governance models, and summarising key learnings from the experiences of other councils
- targeted focus group sessions with priority groups of young people, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse young people, young people at risk of homelessness and young people living with disability: exploring the unique needs of diverse groups of young people in terms of service provision, and what to consider in providing a welcoming place
A consultation report was developed and is available in the Documents section. A workshop will be held with Councillors in February 2019, and a final report will go to Councillors in March 2019.
For more information
Contact the Youth Places Project Officer by email firstname.lastname@example.org or via ASSIST on 03 9209 6777.