South Melbourne is a vibrant inner urban location with an engaged community, a diverse mix of housing and businesses, and a rich cultural and architectural heritage. These attributes, as well as its location between Melbourne’s CBD and Port Phillip Bay, mean that South Melbourne will continue to be an attractive location to live, work and play.
We are starting work on a new structure plan for South Melbourne to manage change and guide how the area looks, feels and functions. This long-term plan will help prepare South Melbourne for the future and how we respond to challenges such as climate change, population growth and COVID-19.
Before we start work on the plan, we want to hear from you. We’d love you to tell us what you think about South Melbourne now and what you want it to be like in the future. Your responses will help create a vision and establish key directions for South Melbourne.
Why does South Melbourne need a Structure Plan?
The structure plan will establish a long-term vision for South Melbourne and will set out how that vision will be achieved.
The structure plan will guide change over the next 15 years and will address matters such as:
- the location of new housing and employment
- how new buildings should look to create a sense of place and identity
- increasing job opportunities, including through innovation and new technology
- how people of all ages and backgrounds are included in the community
- how we move around and stay connected in our local neighbourhoods
- improving parks and streets
- protecting character and heritage
- enhancing sustainability
- social and physical infrastructure improvements.
The structure plan will take approximately three years to develop. It will be implemented through the Port Phillip Planning Scheme, Council’s capital works program and other actions to deliver on the vision and key directions for South Melbourne.
How can I get involved?
Complete the survey and share a post about what you most value about living, working or playing in South Melbourne.
Click on the tabs below to begin!